Disposal FAQ

No answers matched your search

What You Need To Know Before You Go

There is a charge of $7.00 per vehicle for disposing of residential waste if it is delivered to the Sanitary Landfill or Transfer Station in a passenger vehicle. A passenger vehicle is an automobile, sport utility vehicle or a passenger van. A bus or mini-bus is not a qualifying passenger vehicle. A pick-up truck including those with non-commercial license plates is not a passenger vehicle.

The Transfer Station is located on Route #620, commonly known as Shunpike Road, in Burleigh, NJ.  The Sanitary Landfill, Intermediate Processing Facility Wood Products Division are located on Route #610 on the Upper Township/Woodbine border. Use our Facility Locator for more information.

The NJDEP requires that all commercial haulers in the business of haulers in the business of hauling solid waste for the hire must obtain an A-901 Solid Waste Transporter License. Additionally, all commercial self generators of solid waste must be registered with the NJDEP as an A-901 "EXEMPT" Transporter. Further information may be obtained by calling the NJDEP at (609) 292-7081 or the CMC Health Department at (609) 465-1187 or the CMCMUA at (609) 465-9026.

All open top vehicles MUST BE COVERED with a tarpaulin or other suitable covering. the covering must be secured over the load.

The Following categories of waste are prohibited from disposal and the Sanitary Landfill and Transfer Station:

  • Hazardous Waste
  • Liquid Waste
  • Sludge
  • Out-Of-Country Waste
  • Regulated Medical Waste
  • Designated Recyclables

Answers To Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Cape May County Health Department, 465-1187 for disposal information.

One testing lab recommends that a sample about the size of a quarter be placed in a Ziplock-Type plastic bag and mailed to: International Asbestos Testing Laboratories, 16000 Horizon Way, Unit 100, Mount Laurel, NJ 08054. The cost is minimal and you will receive the results within a few days. (Enclose a return address).  For more information contact International Asbestos Testing Laboratories at (856) 231-9449 or any other vendor.  For disposal information use the Asbestos link.
Batteries, Auto and Marine
Batteries, Small Rechargeable

Call Marge at (609) 465-1004 for information on free recycling for local reuse program. Or bring the Transfer Station or Sanitary Landfill for disposal  at no charge. Cell phones can be disposed of as regular household trash, but do not include rechargeable batteries.

Must be individually off-loaded. Customers will be directed to the roper unloading area. The Transfer Station and the Sanitary Landfill will only accept these appliances from private residents or commercial haulers at the rate of $10 each. 

The Sanitary Landfill can accept concrete for disposal as Type 13C at a rate of $71.00 per ton.  Class B Recycling Facilities located in Cape May County that can accept these loads for a fee include Action Supply (609-390-0663), Daley’s Pit (609-861-5480) or Future Mining (609-465-5617).

Recycle at semi-annual Electronics Recycling Days. Accepted at no charge.

Must be bagged in a 3mil trash bag and sealed with duct tape.  Accepted as Type 13C at a rate of $71.00 per ton.

The following companies recycle fluorescent bulbs:
AERC (610) 797-7608

Acceptable as Type 10. Must be empty.

Requires a letter of classification from the County Health Department & NJDEP classifying the soil as ID 27. The Sanitary Landfill will accept certified soil as Type 27E at a fee of $20.00 per ton.

Gasoline is only accepted at Household Hazardous Waste Days.

Large amounts of unused heating oil can be recycled by contacting Lorco Petroleum at 1-800-734-0910 or other vendor

FREE disposal containers are offered through the "Safe Syringe Disposal Program" at Burdette Tomlin Memorial Hospital. Call (609) 463-2491.

Small amounts accepted at used motor oil igloo at Transfer Station and Sanitary Landfill.

Small amounts of household grease can go directly into the household waste stream. Commercial or large volume disposal may contact the following recycling facilities:
MoPac at 1-800-734-091

Containers with a capacity of 20 gallons or more must be empty and punctured on all sides or open on at least one end. For more than 350 gallons, contact the Sanitary Landfill Supervisor at 861-5701, ext. 219.  Hot water heaters of 100 gallons or less capacity do not require puncturing

Empty cans as well as cans with dried paint can go into the normal municipal waste stream. Include them in your bagged household trash. If you must dispose of paint that isn't yet dried, fill the cans with Kitty Litter or Oil Dry.

Oil-based paint  is accepted on Household Hazardous Waste Day. If can is 1/2 full or less, Kitty Litter or Oil Dry can be used to dry paint and this can be placed in the household trash.

Empty pesticide containers are accepted on the first Friday of each month and "on appointment" as arranged with the Sanitary Landfill Supervisor by calling 861-5701, ext. 219.  Empty pesticide containers are accepted as Type 27 at a rate of   $65.95 per ton.  For more information on the disposal of partially full pesticide containers,view Household Hazardous Waste.

For information, go to www.cmchealth.net ,  A-Z Health Topics and click on Home-Generated Sharps Disposal  or Medication Disposal

Accepted at both facilities at a rate of $7.00 per unit for empty 20 gallon tanks. 1-2 lbs. propane tanks are accepted for disposal as Type 10, but tank must be empty.

To accept this material, a letter from the County Health Department is required to determine that this material is acceptable as Type 27E at a rate of $20.00 per ton.   Alternately, these loads are frequently accepted with a charge at Daley's Pit (624-0461) or Future Mining (465-5502).

The CMCMUA does not collect solid waste or recyclables.  Customers should contact the Department of Public Works for their community at the following telephone number:

Avalon 967-7697 Sea Isle City 263-6000
Cape May 884-9570 Stone Harbor 368-7311
Cape May Point 884-1454 628-2647
Dennis Township 861-5309 West Cape May 884-2726
Lower Township 884-0898 Wildwood 522-2942
Middle Township 465-8745 West Wildwood 522-4845
North. Wildwood 522-4646 Wildwood Crest 522-7446
Ocean City 525-9261 Woodbine 861-2371

No New Jersey sales tax is charged for solid waste disposal, however, the following state-mandated taxes per ton are included in all disposal fees:
Sanitary Landfill Contingency Tax    $.50 per ton
Sanitary Landfill Closure Escrow Fund    $1.00 per ton
Recycling Tax    $3.00 per ton
Host Community Economic Benefits (SLF)    $5.56 per ton
Total Taxes:    $10.06 per ton

As a courtesy to our customers, we will accept up to five (5) light-duty tires at a rate of $3.00 each in a passenger vehicle. More than five (5) tires must be disposed of at the Sanitary Landfill as Type 13SR at a rate of $250.00 per ton.

Bring used clothing to thrift shops (St. Casmir Church in Woodbine, or ARC in Rio Grande) or put in AMVET boxes located in the Acme parking lots in Ocean City, Cape May Court House, North Cape May, Wildwood, Cape May City, or Rite Aid near Shop Rite in Rio Grande.

Last Modified March 24, 2017, 12:46 p.m.